Whilst 99.99% of the population had their eyes on Poznan and Gdansk this week watching the Boys in Green, the other 0.01% where watching Vienna. Well, at least anyone with an interest in coffee. Seems those “coffee nerds” were onto a good thing, they fared way better than the football team. Ireland, Dublin specifically, is home to the third greatest barista in the world, Mr Colin Harmon.
In honour of the coffee boys in Vienna, I made some Viennese Whirls. These are so simple and I spent all week thinking of making them. Then, when I finally got the time to do it, I was missing a vital piece of equipment, a large star piping nozzle. Not really a hi-tech difficult item to come by but essential for making Viennese Whirls. So I had to wait another day to make them.
Once I got around to it, it was a simple as placing all the ingredient into a food processor – 250g very soft butter, 50g icing sugar, 250g plain flour, 50g cornflour and 1/2tsp vanilla extract. I will admit I stole the recipe from BBC Food website.
Once you have your smooth mixture, pipe the mixture through the now infamous star nozzle making sure to have an even number.
Place in a 190 degree oven for about 15 minutes until golden brown. Once cooled, prepare the buttercream filling with 100g butter, 200g icing sugar and 1/2tsp vanilla extract. Pipe one half of the biscuits with the filling, spread the other half with raspberry jam and sandwich together.
These are so simple and a great way to practice your piping skills. Yummee!